San Diego - California

December 31, 2013

Two of the main attractions when visiting San Diego are Old Town and Balboa Park.

Adjacent to Old Town is Heritage Park Victorian Village, it houses seven buildings from the 1880s and 1890s which have been moved there from elsewhere in the city.


Christian House

Christian House - This Queen Anne–style house was built in 1889 by Harfield Christian, founder of an early San Diego abstract company 


Sherman-Gilbert House

Sherman-Gilbert House - Built in 1887. Many internationally famous entertainers were brought to receptions in this house; Anna Pavlova danced in the music room and Artur Rubinstein played piano here. 


Temple Beth Israel

Temple Beth Israel - This classic revival building was used by many religious sects before it was relocated to Heritage Park.

Mormon Battalion Monument

Nearby is the Mormon Battalion Monument. This Battalion was the only religiously based unit in United States military history, and it served from July 1846 to July 1847 during the Mexican-American War.


The Old Town area is a popular tourist destination, known especially for its Mexican restaurants


Inmaculate Conception Church

Old Town San Diego State Historic Park preserves and recreates Old Town as it existed during the Mexican and early American periods, from its settlement in 1821, through 1872 when it lost its dominant position to Downtown.

Balboa Park is a 1,200-acre (490 ha) urban cultural park. In addition to open space areas, natural vegetation zones, green belts, gardens and walking paths, it contains museums, several theaters, and the world-famous San Diego Zoo.


The California Bell Tower

Placed in reserve in 1835, the park's site is one of the oldest in the United States dedicated to public recreational use.

Alcazar Garden

Named for the Spanish maritime explorer Vasco Núñez de Balboa, the park hosted the 1915–16 Panama–California Exposition and 1935–36 California Pacific International Exposition.

The 'Casa de Balboa' on El Prado

The 1935–36 California Pacific International Exposition was held to boost the local economy during the depression.

The San Diego Museum of Art

The 1915–16 Panama–California Exposition commemorated the opening of the Panama Canal and provided a major incentive for the creation of the Park as it appears today

San Diego Natural History Museum

El Prado, a long, wide promenade and boulevard, runs through the park's center. Most of the buildings lining this street are in the Spanish Colonial Revival architecture style, a richly ornamented mixture of European Spanish architecture and the Spanish Colonial architecture of New Spain-Mexico.

The Botanical Building

The Botanical Building, was the largest wood lath structure in the world when it was built in 1915 for the Panama-California Exposition. It contains large specimen palms and other plants and sits next to a long reflecting pool on the El Prado side.

San Diego Museum of Man

During both the Great War and World War II, the park was handed over to the Department of the Navy to be used as a barracks and training ground.

During World War II, the park was renamed Camp Kidd. Buildings within the park were used for multiple purposes, including hospital wards, training facilities, and barracks.